Friday, July 10, 2009

Mancora - A beach town in the north of Peru

We got to Mancora early morning, around 6 am. It was still dark and the hotel was not ready but the resort we stayed was amazingly beautiful. It was probably one of the most beautiful hotels/ lodges in my entire journey. The sea was right in front of it. I saw the lights of dawn coming up and the sunrise, it was pretty although nothing could beat the sunrise I saw in Paraty, Brazil! It was very quite as everyone was sleeping. Nicole and I got our room but I did not feel sleepy at all. I went for a walk on the beach and it was very pleasant. I saw the scorpios running around and coming out of their home and then going back in. I tried to follow them but they are too fast or I am too slow! I saw some birds flying around the seashore. Few men were doing their morning exercise. I came back to the hotel and rested for some time. We met at noon for lunch and get some info about the town. The beach started getting crowded and by the afternoon it was very crowded, almost like Bondi beach in Sydney or Point Pleasant in NJ! But this looked even more crowded as it is a small beach compared to those. Lots of surfers were surfing there. The weather was very hot and quite humid as well. Nicole and I went to the town center and had some lunch, it was not good, probably wrong chice, anyway it was okay for once. We then had icecream and also checked out all the shops there. I bought a yellow dress with halter neck, it was Nicole's choice, I was reluctant with the color but liked the style. But then at first Steve and Tanya (a married couple from England who were having their 15 months long honeymoon around the world) and later Tavern and Elle (they were my travel mates and happened to like each other) passed me while I was trying the dresson and they all voted for the yellow dress and i kind of liked it as well. So, I bought that. We stopped by at a jewellry store and there was a lady who could do braids. I asked how much for my hair if I wanted to do them allover my head. She said it would be only 40 Soles (equivalent to 12 USD) and I was very excited to get my hair braided for the first time like that. We went back to the hotel and then came back around 3ish and it took her almost 3 hours to do all the braids and she did it very nicely. I was so happy and so excited to see those braids. Everyone said it suited me well. I got a lot of tan, so I looked very South American , I suppose! I put on my new yellow dress and Nicole was wearing a new dress in green that she bought on the same day. So, we both got very dressed up to go for dinner with all the others in the team. I probably did not mention about Nicole, she is from Queensland, Australia but lives in London now. She got her hair braided from London before coming to this trip, her hair is blonde and short but she got extentions with highlights, those looked so good on her! I loved her braids. I wanted to do mine anyway but her braids definitely inspired me even more. She has been a good company since Lima. Next day, I went back to the stores again and bought two more dresses, one is red and one is purple, they are both beautiful, I was missing my cloth shopping so I had to do this:) I ran out of money twice so I had to withdraw money from the ATM and them get changed into smaller notes from the bank. I also discovered a place where they were selling strawberry juice, so I had one inside the restaurant and took away another one. They were so yummy. I am not a big strawberry fan but I had strawberry juice several times in different places in South America and they were excellent, I became a big fan by now. Rachel, an English girl who is also my team member since I started my trip from Brazil loves strawberry juice, so I was planning to bring her back to this place. Yes, later in the day I came back to the shops with Rachel and also had my third strawberry juice for the day! We

went for dinner at a place quite nice but we went for dessert to the same place that we had dinner the night before and it was the lemon pie, OMG, it was still so yummy, one of the best I ever had. Rachel and Nicole had another one to share after their first one.

I would definitely miss this place as it was the perfect beach town and summer weather although it got a bit too hot during the second day but the nights were pleasant.

We will be going to cross the border of Peru and go to Ecuador tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment