Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Salt flats - wow they were so cool and amazing!

On the third day of our desert crossing, it was no more dust and sand and rocks around, it was all salt flats and they are so white and pretty, I can´t explain those in words! We got out on the salt flats and took all kinds of crazy pictures, through a beer bottle, licking a huge lolly pop and lying down on the flat, dancing and jumping on the salt flats, group inside a beer bottle, over a bottle - the pictures came really well. John and David had to lie down on the cold salt flats for several minutes for taking the pictures of others but they did their job quite well. John is from Liverpool, England and David is from the south, I think. Both are really nice Brits in this trip. BTW, did I ever mention that there was only one Anerican( Aka me), 2 Canadians and rest all are Brits. I worked with so many Brits all my last 8.5 years and now traveling with them as well. No, I am not complaining, just mentioning, there is something between me and the Brits !!!!!!! I do not leave them or they do not leave me , not sure which one is true:) Again, sorry for the delay in posting the pictures here, but will get there once I get back home after July 17th!
The other amazing thing we saw was a cactus garden, There is a name for that place, can´t remember now, but will fill that in later, I have it documented in my pictures:) The largest size cactus there was more than 12m long and they were so old! It was a beautiful and unusual place to be, I had bad altitude problems while going through that hike of about an hour but did it finally and finished it!
The small town where we arrived after 3 days and 2 nights of desert crossing is called Uyuni. The third day was not that long of driving, we got to Uyuni by afternoon and I had to go the immigration office right after. Guess what, I even had to pay for signing the waiver (that I will be getting nothing from Bolivian Govt. if I get yellow fever), how strange is that, the 50 Boliviano was not going to the Govt., it was probably for the police men, how unethical and unavoidable circumstance was that! I can compare that with Bangladesh, right? Although I am not sure if bribary exists when foreigners travel to Bangladesh.!
BTW, I got a five year visa for Bolivia whereas I only needed to be there 15-17 days in total! May be, I will come back just to use that precious visa?

No comments:

Post a Comment